Alert – Members in New Mexico
The New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance (OSI) issued an emergency order effective immediately in response to the recent wildfires in Colfax, Lincoln, Mora, San Miguel, Sandoval, and Valencia counties. This order will expire on September 30, 2022, or when the governor rescinds her executive orders for each of the foregoing counties, whichever occurs first.
As of June 13, 2022, the New Mexico OSI issued another emergency order in response to the wildfires. Order No. 2022-087 pertains to Sierra County and will expire on October 31, 2022, or when the governor rescinds her executive order, whichever occurs first.
This order was issued to automobile, homeowners, and property insurers to provide the following relief to impacted members:
- a 90-day grace period for the payment of insurance premiums and a payment plan of at least six months if members are still unable to pay premiums after the 90-day grace period;
- a 120-day waiver of deductibles;
- a moratorium on the cancellation and nonrenewal of policies for at least 120 days;
- for displaced homeowners only, a waiver of deductibles for Additional Living Expenses (ALE) and up to 12 months of ALE or until displaced homeowners establish a new residence, whichever occurs first;
- an extension of at least 120 days in the reporting requirements for claims submissions or requests for additional claims information;
- duplicate copies of policies at no additional cost to members, if requested; and
- a suspension in fees for late payments, reinstatements, or insufficient funds and additional fees, penalties, or interest charges resulting from members’ temporary inability to submit premium payments.
The Office of the Superintendent of Insurance is launching a Wildfire Hotline to answer questions about insurance coverage for evacuees and victims of the New Mexico wildfires.
The Wildfire Hotline number is (833) 485-1336. The Wildfire Hotline will be staffed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on weekends from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Spanish-speaking staff will also be available.
Pharmacists Mutual Insurance Company and Chiron Insurance Company are available to assist in these difficult times. If you have questions or concerns with your policy, please contact our office at 800.247.5930, ext. 4050 or email@example.com new email.